Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Potato Soup


I have to tell you, I have a bit of a milk problem. Or rather, I have an issue with those pesky 'Sell by' dates they print on things. As the date inches closer I have this terrible fear of milk going bad. I'm constantly asking Trace to smell/taste things just to satisfy my irrational fears. Fortunately for me, as I've said before, he's a pretty good sport.

Growing up I can remember in colder weather as the date on the milk would get nearer my mom would decide that the milk must quickly be used, and one of the most common ways she would do that is by making potato soup. Soup is absolutely one of my favorite things about colder weather, and I thought I would share this simple but super-tasty recipe with you that I made today. It consists of just a few ingredients that we typically have on hand and can be ready in minutes!

This recipe makes enough for 2 adults & 2 toddlers but can easily be multiplied...

Wash and peel 5 large potatoes. Chop the potatoes into equal sized pieces (I prefer larger chunks, but you can make these as small or large as you like). Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and drop in the potatoes. Boil until potatoes are soft when pierced by a fork. Drain potatoes and set aside until sauce is ready.

To make the cream sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan on medium-high heat. (I like to use the same one I just had the potatoes is to save on dishwashing time...) When the butter is melted, add 2 tablespoons flour and stir until it starts to get golden and bubbly. (This is called a 'roux', for all you technical cooks out there.) To this add 2 cups milk slowly and any seasoning you want. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium -low and add in the softened potatoes. For seasoning I add whatever I have on hand. Today I added a bit of minced onion & garlic seasoning. And you're done~ Easy!

I like to serve mine smothered in shredded cheese, as you can see in the picture, but it's just as delicious on its own!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo this sounds perfect! And warm! I am going to try it this next week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!