Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ways I Am NOT (or Refuse to Admit but Probably Am) Like my Mother



Just the idea of this post cracks me up, because if you know me and/or my mother, you have probably started a list just from seeing the title. I'm linking up with Hearts at Home again this month, and would love for you to join in!

Truth be told, I am probably a lot like my mother. And I think I have finally passed the age when I didn't want to admit that. I would like to think that the biggest way in which I am like my mom is that of her faith. My favorite 'picture' of my mom is the image in my mind that I have from 15 years ago, the morning after our world was rocked to its core. I awoke after tragedy to hear my mom playing the piano. Singing praise songs to a God Who was still the same, even after everything as we had known it had changed. She was singing the words to an old song called 'Bless God' that goes something like 'Bless God for all he's done, Bless God for Christ his son. Let us magnify him, for he's holy.' I want a faith that remains unwavering, even when life is anything but steady. Her faith legacy is something that I want and hope to also instill in my little people.

I AM crafty like my mother. She is one who flips things inside-out in the store and says 'I could make that' often. I have this same phrase in my arsenal. She has bin after bin full of random craft supplies, fabric, and other things that 'could be' something else if worked on a bit. I have quite a supply of materials, myself. You just never know when you might need a truck load of pipe cleaners...

I AM a bit of a pack rat, if left to my own devices. I am a collector like my mother and tend to store up things that 'I might use eventually'. Now, don't get me wrong, we aren't (YET) on the path to the show Hoarders, though she is closer than I am to that point. I am married to a man who hangs on to nothing, so I am leaning further away from this trait every year. But the tendency remains...

I AM NOT a crazy dog lady. Mom has a tiny little fluff-ball of a poodle named Phoebe, who she has recently taken to carrying in a sling. Yes, a baby sling. She even went so far as to take a bike ride last week with the dog in a sling. I fear she may get picked up by circus people.

I DO NOT wear colored eye shadow. This one makes me laugh just typing it. My mom has forever been one who likes to 'put her face on' before going out. I am definitely not that way. I am a Burt's Bees and maybe mascara on a fancy day kind of girl.

I DO NOT eat broccoli. Enough said.

I DO NOT play piano. This is one I wish I could do... mom started playing when she was very young and still plays. I started lessons, but like many things in my childhood, I quit.

I DO love a good tea party, or just a reason to get people together in general. I grew up with many regular reasons to get out the pretty dishes, whip up a fancy dessert and entertain. And let me just say, any day truly can be a good reason to entertain. I can remember open houses, basket parties, Bible studies, and many other occasions that we would somehow manage to stash the mess under the beds and have people over. Just for fun. And I think this has a lot to do with my love for get-togethers now.

So are you like your mom? I can't wait to see the other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!