Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Words

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
Proverbs 16:24

Our words have amazing power, don't they? I read a blog post on this very topic the other day, and it was quite the kick in my pants... As moms especially, we have the tremendous gift to shape the little ones entrusted to us. And our words can do a lot of molding. Good and bad.

I have found myself lately annoyed at Halle's attitude. At only 3, she has a lot of sassiness that pours out of that smirked-like-her-daddy mouth, and it makes me a bit crazy. I do not like to be talked to that way! But then God turns the mirror sharply in my own direction and I see~ Her words sound an awful lot like my own. My tone on busy days can be less than sweet, and I get what I give. 

So I (again) begin carefully weighing each word. Words have the ability to scar or to shape. To build or knock down. And it is only when I am truly full of Him and His Word that I can clearly pour out Love to the ones around me.  I have begun my days praying the words of David: "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3) I never cease to be thankful for what the infusion of God's word can do for my days and my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!