Monday, March 22, 2010

When did he grow up?

Well, Saturday I entered the world of soccer moms. This day seems a long day coming, we'd been talking about it for so long, and finally it was here. My little man was so excited and then we get to the gym, and he wasn't so sure. Amidst the sea of 4 year olds he seemed so small in his giant new shirt. Slowly he stepped to the back of the pack, stopping every few feet to check back and make sure that I was there on the bleachers. At one point he came to a critical moment: it looked like he may cry, and I thought to myself 'if he cries, I probably cry too'. I mouthed 'You can do it baby, be brave!', and he took a few timid but daring steps toward the group again.

At that point the coach divided the littles into about 4 smaller teams, and one assistant, sensing that Remy was shy came up to my boy and introduced himself. He asked Rem for a high five, and then it was all over. My Big Brave Boy was gone into the world of organized sports (well, as organized as dozens of crazy 4 year olds can be...). The head coach told us at the first that several of his assistants didn't speak very much English, and it may have been a good thing because that same guy who high-fived Remy got an earful for the rest of the practice! I could hear Remy saying 'Hey, watch this!' to his coach as he did any number of wonderful 4 year old soccer tricks and stunts. My boy the clown was in rare form, and I loved every minute of it!

Halle did her best to stay with me in the bleachers, though she really wanted to be out there on the floor with Rem! I have lots of new artwork on every random scrap of paper in my purse~ the one day I forget to pack her notebook...


It all seems pretty monumental. 4. Like he's not a baby anymore, not even a toddler. At the moment when we were both tearing up on Saturday, a mom on the seat in front of me said 'He's your first, isn't he?'. I nodded, and she smiled knowingly. My first. My big man. (sniff, sniff, cue the string quartet) And if this wasn't all enough, here is what I walk in on in the bathroom tonight. I snapped a few pics and then was told to get out because I was interrupting 'guy stuff'. 


5 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're going through. Wish I could say it gets easier. But I haven't found that to be true. I just carry tissues with me everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Miss you guys! Give the big boy a "high five" for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to break it to ya, but real soccer players don't shave (complains this mom of a 17-year-old).

    Congrats on entering the ranks. He and his buddies look so proud of those soccer balls which are almost as big as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh my gosh!! too cute! I think I will be so emotional as my son gets older. It goes too fast! He started walking last week and I cried...wow..this is not good.

    I just appreciate life and the gift of children:)
    thanks for the sweet stories!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!