Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Love

Happy Friday! I am reading my Bible and blogging outside on a blanket while the littles play 'Super Heros' again. This weather is amazing!

Today I'm loving:

~This verse: "The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me."  Psalm 116: 5-6
I have been thinking a lot about this verse lately and about what I feel has really been God's call on our family to live more simply~ To take away all the excess and live with the singular focus that is loving God and serving others. That is how I read 'simplehearted' in this verse; not as in simple or naive, which are often used in place of each other in Proverbs. I also love that last part: "he saved me.". It is not our great wealth, which we have, that saves us... not our knowledge of trivia, but the grace and compassion that only God has. And I am so thankful!

~Russian Tea.  I thought I would share this recipe with y'all, though as I searched online I realize that it is certainly not unique to me. My mom always used to make this in cooler months when I was young, and now it seems that every time my throat is scratchy I crave it. It's super easy to make and would look pretty in Mason jars for giving as a gift, I think.

The recipe is terribly simple: 1 1/3 cups Tang (I have tried other brands and none seem to do it for me... but experiment if you dare!), 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup instant iced tea, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.  Mix it all together and store in a closed container. For serving just put several tablespoons (more or less to taste) in a cup and add hot water. Delicious!

~That the kids are playing together with less and less direction/stepping in from me. It's such a miracle the way their little minds work and play, and I love to just be a bystander. As I type, Cowboy Remy and his horse, Tornado (aka rake), are saving Halle, who is indeed tied to a tree... "YeeHaw!"

~That I burned about 600 calories at the gym and am definitely starting to like working out.  I made a pact with myself to not look at the scale for 2 weeks (today marks one week), and while it's been hard, I love that I am just feeling better. We are eating cleaner & healthier than we ever have before, and for the first time I really see this as a new way of life for us that encompasses every area.  It sounds pretty cliche, even as I type it, but it's true! An I also think it falls right in line with the simple living that God desires of us, which is pretty awesome!

Well, Remy is telling me that I 'get to be his Super-Duper Side Kick' for a while, so I have to go. I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of the people and things you love! Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!