Monday, May 3, 2010

Ready for a Workout?!

Good morning, and happy new week! This weekend I had some time to really dig into my Bible, and I thought I would just share a few things... In our small group last week we were studying 2 Timothy 4. In verse 2, Paul exhorts Timothy to "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage- with great patience and careful instruction." Later as I was looking back at the passage, the words "Preach the Word" really stood out (again!) to me, and I feel like God was saying 'To preach the Word, Mandy, you have to know the Word.' Sounds pretty elementary, I know, but that's exactly what I need sometimes!

I feel like at this point in my life I have a distinct calling to be someone who teaches God's word to other young moms who are in this same phase in life as me. In the last week I came across this post at The Simple Wife Blog about God leading us through some "strict training".  (It was actually a Beth Moore teaching that Joanne, the blog's author, sat in on... I highly recommend you dig into it if you want to be challenged!) I don't know about you, but I definitely need some more training and discipline in this area of my life!

In 1 Corinthians Paul talks about how athletes go into strict training before running a race (1 Cor. 9:24-27). I do not want to run "like a man running aimlessly" (v. 26), and I think that even as Christians we have times like this- I want to devote more discipline and strategy to my Biblical training than I do my crazy workout schedule, and I realize that if that's not how my schedule looks, then my priorities are out of proper alignment!

For a while last year I was doing "Memory Monday" on here, but the problem with that, for me, is that I have a fantastic memory. I can tell you what I wore the first time I met Trace's parents, what the first meal I cooked for him was, or my second grade locker combination... but that's head knowledge, and that is kind of how I read Paul's "running aimlessly" thought. Yes, it's great to commit verses to memory, but I think the training I desperately need is the kind that converts head knowledge into true heart knowledge and then into action!

At the end of the lesson, Beth pitched a one year challenge: To pray every day for one year for a heart to love God more than anything else. To commit to this training for one year and be prepared for the work God will do if we commit. I know it has been a while since Joanne posted this, but I am totally in- and it starts today! What about you? I hope that in the coming weeks I can bring y'all some of my 'workouts'- I know God has so much for me and for you!

I hope you had a good weekend! Don't forget that today is the last day to enter my Twirly Skirt Giveaway- I'll announce the winner tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. i'm in the middle of beth moore's "daniel" study and am learning just how to be in and not of this world. it's such a convicting study which is so good for me. the Lord is changing me through it! i'm going to pray that prayer with you - after all, it is a command for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay blogger is giving me troubles...I don't think my last comment went through! ha ha! beautiful reflection once again!
    I always remind myself that I can't give what I dont have!
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great work out!! love it. so glad i ran across your blog.

    p.s. I have a new silver earring giveaway I think you might like! www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mandy! Your mom and I spent the morning getting plants at Heller's, after I stuffed us with home-made waffles:-). She said your blog was kind of serious today, so I thought I'd check in and see what that active mind of yours is up to. You do like to challenge yourself, little sista! Keep walking in obedience, and you'll be everything God wants you to be. I've heard nothing but good comments about your talk at the Ladies Candle Light.I think you gave us much to think about. It was so good to spend a little time with you (and the littles, of course). I hope you'll be back when you can stay longer... Love, K

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!