Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why I don't do Halloween

I don't think my answer is what you'd expect. I'm not going to give you the "because of all the dark, devil-inspired" Christian response, though that's totally not something I like. There are a few reasons the holiday doesn't sit well...
Source

~The first is perhaps the most ridiculous, though the most prevalent. I do NOT like people wearing masks. Since as far back as I can remember, I haven't been a fan of clowns, the Easter bunny, or {especially} those weirdos dressed up like cartoon characters at theme parks. I'm not necessarily afraid of them, but I don't like not knowing who is behind the mask. I am always bothered that it could be some strange pervert hugging on my kids. I don't turn on my light or open the door on Halloween... So don't come knocking.

~Second, I hate supporting gluttony. Call me over-dramatic, but I don't think that any child needs a huge bag full of candy... As someone who has always struggled with my weight, and who has a crazy relationship with food, I want to model good behavior for my kids. With our (Americans as a whole) children having so many health-related issues due to the obesity epidemic, I can't stomach just pitching poison to our little ones. If I ever did decide to answer the door, I would be the weird lady on the block handing out tooth brushes or apples.

~Third is the whole ritual itself: Why am I the only one who thinks sending my kids around the neighborhood knocking on doors and begging for food is strange?! We say 'Don't take candy from strangers.', so why is it okay on this one night?

I know, Every Party Has a Pooper... I'm okay with that.

2 comments:

  1. Our family does do Halloween, but I understand your reasoning... in fact you make it sound crazy that we even allow our kids to trick or treat. ;o) I'm completely opposite about the masks though. They can creep me out, but I love the idea of one time a year being able to dress up and be creative with whoever or whatever I want to be with no excuses. Yes, I'm the adult that dresses up to hand out candy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toothbrushes! Now THAT is a brilliant idea. I'm totally doing that next year. ;)

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!