Thursday, June 16, 2011

To My Teenage Self~ Third Thursday Thoughts


Hey, y'all! I just realized that I had my Miscellany Monday post ready to go and never hit 'publish', so it's been sitting under drafts... no wonder it's been so quiet around here! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after my week in Florida. I cannot say enough how much your prayers and kind words meant to me last week. Dad's surgery went great, and he is home and healing. The trip was even more healing for me, I think, but that's for another post. I'm still trying to wrap words around all those thoughts.

Today I'm linking up again with Hearts at Home, and the question is "If you could go back in time and tell your teenage self one thing, what would you say?".  At first I brainstormed a long list, including 'please do not go through this terrible grunge phase'... but the more I thought about it, I think it comes down to something that is tied up into so many other mistakes and regrets. If I could whisper one thing into those pierced up, self-centered little ears it would be this: find Love. And if I could speak beyond those two words, I would say 'it's not where you're looking'. 

The hardest part of this is that I know my teenage self wouldn't listen. If I could shake me and guarantee that I would hear, I would know that so many other voices were already saying the same thing. God is Love. In Him there is no darkness, there is limitless grace and patience and wisdom and an all-encompassing, abundant Love. It isn't where you're looking at all, Mandy. Temporary acceptance doesn't equal love. Admiring glances at skinny jeans after the daily binge and purge does not equate to the abounding love of your Father. Find Love by looking deep into His pages, falling further into the arms of the One who created you. This Love will carry you through years of hurt and confusion. And this Love is there just waiting to be found.

Now if I could speak those same words to this 30 year old self and believe them as much as I know them! 

So what would you tell your teenage self? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!