Monday, March 26, 2012

Better Writer Day 15~ And Then I

#BetterWriter

Happy Monday! We're getting back to (if we can call it that) normal here after spring break. Remy went back to school, somewhat begrudgingly, and I am thankful to get back into a routine. We have been enjoying some amazing weather here in Illinois... Spring has arrived! I hope you had a great weekend!

Today's Better Writer Challenge is to write about a process. A tutorial, how-to, recipe, whatever... but to avoid the boring 'and then I' approach. Monday is the perfect day for this because Monday is cleaning day in our house. My absolute favorite day! (Yes, I'm one of those...)

You see, I have this sweet, chattering shadow. "Mondays are made for cleaning!" sounds off my little curly-haired shadow. "You're right! And this is the day the Lord has made." "For cleaning!", she chimes in. We spray matching blue microfiber cloths with lemon-fragranced spray and play Follow the Leader... over tables and under chairs, fingers around wooden legs and "Whee!!!" hands slide down stair rails. Under pictures and over shelves. Teaching tenderness of cloth around circled glass rims of hurricanes, all the while singing "We're the cleaner girls" to the tune of Strawberry Shortcake.

Soon we stand in the doorway and survey our citrus-scented success. It is a grand one. And my perfectionist tendencies must be laid aside, not allowing myself to swipe the smudges that she misses. Because it is truly about the process sometimes and not the final product. My heart is warm, knowing that she is learning that keeping a home is about how you make the home-dwellers feel.

Our task culminates in a chocolate chip cookie on the couch. Snuggles and crumbs abound while we take pride in our work. This is also why the next lesson is that vacuuming comes last.

"A house is built by wisdom, and it is established by understanding; by knowledge the rooms are filled with every precious and beautiful treasure." Proverbs 24:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!