Tuesday, August 18, 2009

God as Crafter and cookies

Several weeks ago our pastor set up an image for us of intimacy with God. For him, as he pictured spending time with God, he saw the space as a smoking lounge and of himself pulling up a chair next to a fire with God, sharing a fine cigar and deep, meaningful conversation. That is who God is to him. He then challenged us to journal/blog about our own intimate place where we can hear (and be heard by) God. I have thought a lot about this. I think I am closest to God, and myself maybe, when I am working with my hands creating something. I imagine God feeling at home on a chair in my studio (I know, I know, some might call it my dining room...) and creating together. Let's face it, one cannot look at this amazing world around us and not see that God is the Ultimate Crafter!!

Although I'd not pinpointed it until just now, I think this closeness with God is a big part of why I make things. When I sit at my table, it's usually during nap time, and aside from the hum of my sewing machine, it's quiet. I can hear myself think and can allow God to speak to me. This is intimacy, and I realize I need to shut out the noise and find this time with him more often!

I love all the references in the Bible to God as Creator. Remy and I recently worked our way through a Veggie Tales book about the creation story in Genesis. It's so fantastic to see Remy's face light up with wonder asking 'Did God make this?' and 'How did he do that?' One of my favorite verses is Colossians 1:16 "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him."

So where is it that you find God?

And on a completely different note, I have to pass along this recipe. I think it was Amy from Angry Chicken that referenced Small magazine a while back, and while skimming it, I found this amazing recipe. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies. If you know me, you know I make cookies several times a week and consider myself a bit of a cookie expert (or just an addict, I'm not sure where the line is). So when I tell you that these are really the most amazing cookies I have ever made, I'm not kidding around. They are so incredible that you should make a batch right this minute!! They require no strange ingredients and turn out just like the photo. I am in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!