Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hungry

Psalm 17: 14b-15

You still the hunger of those you cherish;
their sons have plenty,
and they store up wealth for their children.
And I-in righteousness I will see your face,
when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

It was funny to me this morning that I was reading a verse about hunger when I am on day three of a self-imposed 'Boot Camp' of diet and exercise. I think I am indeed hungry! But (again) God gently reminded me that he is all I need, and that truly I am not hungry for food- just addicted to it in true American form. All of chapter 17 is a beautiful example of how to pray and how to live... a tall order. In verse 1 David declares his plea to be righteous. He is certain of the condition of his heart (v. 1-5) even going so far as to say that God will find nothing sinful (v. 3). Awesome! Can I say these things?

Thinking about being hungry... literally and figuratively. When so many are in need right now, but not just for physical food, but also for a Savior. Hunger. Do I? I love that these verse come full circle- "You still the hunger..." How? "I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness." The word 'likeness' to me says several things. Not just seeing God, though I do believe it means that, but also seeing God in the things around me. I can see his likeness in my husband, in my children, in creation, and by being aware of his presence in those things I am satisfied. Those things even help me to be more in his likeness to others- and that's the goal, right?

Just some thoughts for today... Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!