Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sink or Walk!



Well, kind of like Halle into this pudding cup, we are diving head first into our new life here in Illinois. The days are beginning to feel like our new normal, boxes are getting unpacked, and we are getting to know some wonderful people from our new church. Life is good.

Last night we went to our first small group meeting. I am always a bit tentative amongst new people... that shy girl in me really wants to stay on the surface. But the topic really intrigued me. We will be reading the John Ortberg book, "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat". One of my favorite teachers once did an amazing sermon series on this book, and I have always come back to it in ways, so when I heard we would be studying this, I was totally on board. (Okay, forgive me, that 'on board' pun was totally unintended...)

The book draws from the story in Matthew 14 in which the disciples are on their boat in the middle of a storm. Jesus goes out to them, walking on the water. The disciples think that it's some sort of ghost, but Jesus tells them to not be afraid, and Peter says (verse 28) "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." Jesus says "Come", and Peter gets out of the boat and walks on the water toward Jesus. That particular Bible story and the Ortberg book reinforce the fact that every act of faith includes a level of risk. We just must assume that risk in order to see more of who God is and strengthen our faith. So last night's meeting ended with the question: What is your boat? I really have been thinking about this, and I really think that our old life was my boat. Nashville was the safe thing that I had in my life that was keeping me from moving toward Jesus. And now we have jumped head-first out of the boat. Faith. And while it is a bit scary and fear does creep in, there is an incredible amount of peace that is accompanying our decision because this is a risk God called us to take.

So what is your boat? I truly believe that every step of faith reveals more of who God is, and I absolutely want to see Him, more of Him, ALL of Him! My prayer is that today you will allow Him to help you let go of the things you hold on to. Be blessed, lovelies! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!