Wednesday, September 8, 2010

These Walls Mean Something

Today for Scoutie Girl's We Scout Wednesday, the question is "How will you change the world with your money?". I think about this often and decided to jump in. I think for our home, it is as much about how we don't spend our money than how we do spend our money.

I love walking into a place that feels like home. A well-decorated and warm living space is wonderful to enter in to. Then I looked around our house this morning (and of course snapped a few pictures!) at my almost completely (except for the occasional wedding  or Audrey Hepburn picture) bare walls. Sure, there are times when I drool over decor8 or Pottery Barn's catalogue and think of buying up wonderful things to put on our walls... To run into an antique shop and buy charming vintage furniture and creative things to place on my tables. But then I ALWAYS think about how else I could use this money. God speaks to me, and I love being close enough to Him to hear His voice. These bare walls show my heart.

At the end of the day, I can live with myself if my spending has been mindful. I love hearing Remy pray for Nthiani, our Compassion sponsored child in Kenya, and I feel good about the money that goes to him every month.  I look at the blank space over my couch, and I can see missionary friends in Spain and Thailand.  I know that money has gone to serve God in dark places of the world. Acts 4:32-34 says "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them." More than having magazine-worthy walls, I dream of the day when there is no needy person among us! But since that day hasn't arrived, I would much rather have our money free to use if someone has need of it.

I debated on whether to post this at all~ I do not wish to come across as self-righteous or as giving a prescription for how you should (or shouldn't) spend your money. There may come a time when these walls are filled with lovely things we've collected over the years. I am not against decorating! But to answer the question~ I will change the world by spending with my conscience. By, for now, avoiding superfluous items and investing in things that have kingdom effects. By supporting handmade and purchasing thoughtful products that give workers a fair wage. By living as God desires us to live. That's our bottom line.

...until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!