Thursday, April 28, 2011

WooHoo Granola!

Well, I was really excited about this one... as you can tell by my title.  I was in the mood yesterday for some granola and went digging in my pantry, thinking that I could just wing it and create something. I am thrilled with the result (though not so much the pic from my phone)!

Ingredients (all measurements are approximate, since I really just threw stuff into a bowl...)
~2 1/2 cups oats
~1 cup flaked coconut (not sweetened)
~3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (I used half dark and half light)
1/3 cup honey
1/8 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Method:
Heat oven to 300*. In a bowl, mix together oats, coconut, and almonds. Pour into greased roasting pan and place in oven for about 25 minutes, stirring several times.

While that's in the oven, in a small saucepan on the stove, mix butter, sugar, honey, and syrup over medium heat. Stirring pretty often until butter is melted. Remove from heat and add in vanilla.

Remove oat mixture from oven and pour syrup mixture over it, stirring to coat. Then spread this out on a cookie sheet that's been covered with parchment. Return to oven for about 5-10 minutes. (This last time is a guess because my oven quit working on me... My granola was a bit sticky but still tasted delicious... just leave in there until it sets up a bit.

I'd love to know if you try it! This recipe is pretty exciting to me because I can think of about a zillion ways to change it~ adding chocolate, dried fruit, different nuts, etc. Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!