Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chocolate Cobbler

Well, here it is... the recipe that had my twitter all abuzz yesterday. I didn't take a picture, because mine never turn out very pretty, but it tastes amazing and uses stuff that I typically just have in my kitchen.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
milk
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1 can evaporated milk
3/4 cup milk

The process:
Combine flour, shortening and salt. Mix with hands or pastry cutter until shortening is evenly dispersed. Add milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time until it makes a smooth ball. Roll out on floured board or pastry cloth as thin as possible.

Spread sugar over dough. Sprinkle cocoa over sugar. Add vanilla to melted butter and sprinkle over dough as well. Roll up dough and place into a baking dish in circle. Cut holes in top of dough and pour evaporated milk over roll. Then pour 3/4 cup milk on top.

Bake at 350* until dough is golden and sauce is bubbly. (about 30 min?)

That's the original recipe. The only places I vary are in the rolling of the dough~ I can never seem to get mine to make a smooth roll that doesn't break. The good thing is that it works out in the end whether you have to cut holes in the top or it just falls apart as you place it in the pan. The more places for the milk to sink in the better, in my opinion!

This is perfect served warm with vanilla ice cream. Coffee is also mandatory. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!