Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Favorite Homemade Dish

Hi, girlies! It's Third Thursday, so once again I'm joining in the hop with Hearts at Home bloggers. The question this month was 'What's your favorite homemade dish?'. I struggled with what to say, because I don't consider most things I make homemade... I make and bake a lot, but I use lots of quick cheats and shortcuts. When I think of 'homemade', I think of slaving away for hours in the hot kitchen... climbing uphill both ways in three feet of snow... Okay, maybe I'm just being hard on myself. 

I decided to share with you today a SUPER TOP SECRET recipe that was handed down to me in my sweet Granny's handwriting on the recipe card. (I only call her Granny behind her back~ she hates that. Something about her mother being Granny, but the name totally fits her!) My Grandma is a small, southern pistol that makes a ton of wonderful things when working in her little kitchen. Her Pecan Pie is my absolute favorite. 
Pecan Pie
Beat 3 eggs slightly, add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 cup white corn syrup, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/3 cup melted butter, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir in 1 cup pecans and pour into unbaked crust. Bake at 375* for 40-50 minutes until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

This is my grandma's original recipe... now for my variations~ I use halved pecans (granny uses chopped). I also use 1/2 cup corn syrup with 1/2 cup maple syrup because I like the darker, nuttier flavor. For the crust, you can use a purchased, frozen pie crust. I typically make Martha's simple pate brisee or basic crust like this if I don't want to use butter.

Sorry the only picture I could find right now is this terrible yellow one, but you get the idea~ this pie is gorgeous every time! I'd love for you to link up and check out the other H@H bloggers today~ I can't wait to see what awesome things they're cooking up!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!