Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sow Love

I was reading this post the other day called 'One Better', and the concept really took me sort of captive. I encourage you to read the whole post, but the quote that had the most take away for me was this: "It’s hard to do everything, but it isn’t hard to just do one better. " True, isn't it? God is calling us even in the midst of difficult moments to try harder. To do one better. I have many moments when I feel like giving up because I can't move mountains, and this isn't necessarily what God is asking me to do. But as Jesus shapes and refines my heart, as I take in His words and trust Him that He is working in me to make me more like Him, I can do more. I can do one better.

Let me illustrate how I am thinking here... My Halle is prone to waking up between 3 and 4 in the morning. Almost every morning. The sweet little thing can't tell time, so some mornings it's just 'Is it time to get up yet?' and others, like last night, it's that in waking up, her diaper has soaked her bed. I am tired. And other than for the Royal Wedding, I do not usually want to get up at 3am. Last night, as I heard that precious voice from across the hall I didn't have warm fuzzy feelings. But I heard God say 'Sow Love'. He was telling me that even at 3am, I had a choice to make. I could silently rush through the motions of changing her jammies and sheets, or I could do one better and show my girly the love of Jesus. Before my bare feet hit the cold floor I had determined to do the latter. I walked into her dark room to see the smile of a two year old who was genuinely excited to see me. I grabbed a clean diaper and baby lotion, changed her and gave her a massage before putting clean pajamas on her. I asked her to be my helper and change the sheets with me~ something she loves but makes the job take twice as long as when I do it myself.  I tucked her in underneath fresh covers, and as I kissed her soft cheek, she whispered 'Thank you for saving me'.  She fell asleep quickly, knowing that I love her.

When I woke up this morning, I was reminded of how Mother Theresa said that 'We cannot do great things, only small things with great love.'. I love that! It takes some the pressure off from trying to attain some perfect ideal, and at least in my life, allows me to embrace who God is making me in each moment. We are often faced with a choice to make, and I am finding that I am (ever so slowly) taking the high road more often. I encourage you, as did the author of the original post, to try it... I am amazed at how this concept is changing me.  Happy Tuesday, Lovelies!

4 comments:

  1. What a great thing to think about! I often get stressed with the daily craziness 5 boys and 4 being home with me. I will certainly keep this at the forefront of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words. I'm thankful God is working in us to bring forth good. Bc I'm helpless on my own!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!