Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Exalted

For Thou, O Lord, art high above all the earth. Thou art exalted far above all Gods. I exalt Thee.

I always get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach before leading worship... some assume that I'm nervous to be singing in front of people, but it's not that at all. I get to lead others in worshipping a holy God. It's outrageous, isn't it?! I feel such a huge weight of responsibility and am so humbled that He allows me this.  Every time I sing I get teary eyed just thinking about the enormity of this 'job'. I have been in some places that I have been caught up in the emotionalism of a moment... when it feels good for me. And while those moments may have felt good at that instant, looking back I have extreme sadness for what I missed. Perspective.

Our new church is called the encounter. And we take worship seriously... but not in a 'you have to do it our way' kind of serious, but rather in that we don't want people to just get caught up in a moment... in some kind of sensational experience. Our prayer every time we meet is that someone might come to see God. That we would interact with Him. That we would come to see His character.

The song 'I Exalt Thee' is one that literally brings me to my knees when I practice. Do you know why we tell things to God that He already knows? We sing 'I exalt Thee'. He doesn't need us to worship.  In fact, Scripture says that if we don't, the stones will (Luke 19:40)... but it's all about perspective. We lift Him up because we are created to do this. And in my acknowledging His Height, His Majesty, my perspective aligns and my focus becomes right. I must become less. So tell Him. Acknowledge Him for who He is~ a compassionate God who loves us in spite of ourselves. We were made for this~ to praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!