Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hearts at Home Third Thursday Blog Hop



This month for the 'Third Thursday Thoughts' with Hearts at Home, we're sharing 5 'things' we've given up or are living without as a family so that you can have more. This is something I've thought a lot about. There is such a fine line, especially with kids I think between teaching them to be sacrificial and pounding a 'do this out of obligation' attitude into their heads. I pray daily that they would want to give, sacrifice, and live generosity from hearts that are being molded and shaped by God. That giving would be in grateful response to what they've been given.

Truthfully I don't look at how we live as going with less or living without. We've made cuts in some areas, but what we are allowed to give is so much greater!

~We don't have cable. And truthfully this one is felt the most by me because I'm a self-proclaimed tv addict. I love television. We do have streaming netflix, but those $8 pale in comparison to the cost of actual cable.

~I make lots of food from scratch. This is a pretty easy one for us because I love to bake, and I love to be able to look at the cost of the simple ingredients and see that we save from buying ready-made.

~We have cut back on spending for holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries. This is one that I love- we are really trying to be more mindful of buying meaningful, simple things that will last as opposed to loads of stuff that will fall apart or disappear into the depths of the toy box. This has also helped us to evaluate our family traditions and think of ways that we can spend time together creating memories & traditions.

~We don't eat out nearly as much as we used to. We do have a regular Taco Bell excursion because we can feed all of us for $10.53, but other than that we only occasionally go out. I am really trying to plan our menus better so that at dinner time I don't feel stuck without a plan and just grab something fast & unhealthy.

~We don't have the littles signed up for a million activities. I'm sure this is more simple now as the littles are still young, but I don't think we'll ever allow them to sign up for tons of activities just to fill a calendar.

So what is the more? We are able to give more... we support more missionaries and our Compassion child... we enjoy time together at home instead of spending hours in the car... We live life with our friends... we eat lots of home-baked treats...

So what kinds of things are on your list? Are you trying to be more mindful of living with less? I can't wait to see what the other 'hoppers' share and glean some ideas for different ways that we can save!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!