Monday, March 12, 2012

Better Writer Day 5~ First and Third

#BetterWriter

Happy Monday! I'm walking away from a busy weekend into an even busier week, but I'm hoping to keep up with these challenges at least until I leave for a conference on Thursday. Today's challenge is a fun one! We were given a picture and asked to write about it from First Person perspective and then change the story to Third Person about the same character. (Sorry, the picture has rights reserved, and I couldn't get it to paste, but you can see it here if you want to!)

~First Person~

I can remember this day like it was yesterday. It was one of those gorgeous, in between season days... the trees were still bare from a long winter, but we were able to shed our coats for a bit to take a walk into town. My brother, John, and sister, Hannah, were in their matching outfits as usual, and of course I had on my wildly printed knitted knee socks that mama made each year. That's me, in the middle. I smiled for the camera under the brim of my hat, though it felt like it took papa forever to get the picture taken. I can remember every time he'd say 'Smile!', I would wonder if my face really could freeze like that. We were on our way to the dime store to spend the last of our Christmas money on penny candy. The excitement of all the sugary sweets alone was enough to mark this occasion in my mind forever because it so rarely happened. We made our way into the tiny store, and the three of us rushed to the counter stocked with rows of glass jars containing mounds of glimmering treats. I can almost taste the peppermint sticks, my favorite!

~Third Person~

She could remember this day like it was yesterday. It was one of those gorgeous, in between season days... the trees were still bare from a long winter, but they were able to shed their coats for a bit to take a walk into town. Her brother, John, and sister, Hannah, were in their matching outfits as usual. She had on her wildly printed knitted knee socks that their mama made each year. That's Emily, in the middle. She smiled for the camera under the brim of her hat, though it seemed like it took papa forever to get the picture taken. Every time he'd say 'Smile!', she would wonder if her face really could freeze like that. They were on their way to the dime store to spend the last of their Christmas money on penny candy. The excitement of all the sugary sweets alone was enough to mark this occasion in their minds forever because it so rarely happened. They made their way into the tiny store, and the three of them rushed to the counter stocked with rows of glass jars containing mounds of glimmering treats. She could almost taste the peppermint sticks, those were Emily's favorite!

Hope you are off to a great start to your week! I am hoping to post a book review and a new recipe this week... See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say~ Thanks for leaving your mark!